World War One Sites - The NETWORLD Database
8th Aircraftman Hussar Regiment Memorial
The memorial is made of bronze. The relief was made by Szomor László who had a strong connection with Pécs through the Zsolnay factory. The dedication of the memorial was only held in 1939 after 7 years of the assignment. The relief was placed by the southern wall of the Liberty Monumental as part of the renovation of the main square of the city in the 30’s.
The relief has a smooth and natural base with the Dom at the background. There are four hussars on their galloping horses with naked swords in their hands. The first and the third, such as the second and the fourth figures are portrayed in the same posture. The dynamic hand position and pose illustrates the steadiness heroism and overwhelming fighting spirit. While the first figure on the left is strongly plastic the one on the right side is nearly fading into the background. The depth of space is also given by the perspective size reduction. Special emphasises was put on light and shadow, enhanced by the contrast between the brown colour of the bronze relief and the lighting white stones that surrounds it.
Inscription on the memorial:
“A M. KIR. PÉCS 8. HONVÉD HUSZÁREZRED EMLÉKEZETÉRE 1914-1918”
[For the memory of the 8th Aircraftman Hussar Regiment of the Kingdom of Hungary 1914-1918 .]
Type of WWI-heritage
- War monument
State of repair/preservation
Renovated in 2010.
Historical WWI Context
Although the idea of the installation of the statute was raised in 1932 the dedication of the memorial was only held in 1939 after 7 years of the assignment. The committee decided to make a similar monument to the Monuments of the 52nd and 19th Aircraftman Infantry Regiment as those were close to this one.
The relief was placed by the southern wall of the Liberty Monumental as part of the renovation of the main square of the city in the 30’s.
The monument was made for the memory of the soldiers of the 8th Aircraftman Infantry Regiment.
State of legal protection
Protected (Ruled by the Act LXIV of 2001 - https://net.jogtar.hu/jr/gen/hjegy_doc.cgi?docid=a0100064.tv
Kind of cultural use of WWI
No information available.
Free of charge
Information regarding cities, villages, other touristic attractions (non-WWI) nearby
The city of Pécs is home to countless tourist attractions. It has been inhabited since the Roman ages, when it was called Sopianae. One of the main tourist attractions is the Early Christian Cemetery which was added to the UNESCO World Heritage List in 2000. This heritage site can be accessed through the Cella Septichora Visitor’s Centre. Medieval relics can be found in the Dóm Museum. The present neo-romanesque cathedral was built at the end of the 19th century. During the 16th century Pécs was occupied by the Turkish, and the modern cityscape has preserved some of its built heritage. The main attraction is the mosque of pasha Gazi Kasim, which is found on the main square (Széchenyi tér) of the city. Another important element of Pécs’ heritage is Zsolnay porcelain, their legacy being carried on and rejuvenated by the founding of the Zsolnay Cultural Quarter, which has become a new cultural scene in the city. Further tourist information about Pécs can be found at: http://www.iranypecs.hu/en/ and http://www.zsolnaynegyed.hu/
Various providers in broad range of categories can be found at: booking.com; szallas.hu
Search: Pécs, (Baranya, Hungary)
Pécs can be accessed by train and coach also. InterCity trains leave from Budapest, Keleti pályaudvar (Eastern railway station) every two hours. The trip is 3 hours long. Timetables can be found at https://www.mavcsoport.hu/en. Coaches leave from Népliget Bus Terminal (https://www.volanbusz.hu/en/travel-information/our-stations/budapest#nepliget), the trip is about 4 hours long. Coach timetables can be found at www.menetrendek.hu and clicking on “csak Volán járatok”.
Further information sources
Other heritage sites nearby
Museums Private Collections
There is a museum in Szekszárd (60 km north of Pécs in Tolna county) dedicated to the infantryman of Tolna county who served in the 1st and 2nd World Wars. It is the private collection of György Borbandi and Zoltán Tálosi that has been made available for public viewing. Hungarian language website: http://bakamuzeum.hupont.hu/
Address: Béla király tér 1., Vár köz, 7100 Szekszárd
„Új világ született“(„A New World Was Born“) permanent exhibition guides visitors from the belle époque through wartime enthusiasm to bitter disillusionment on over 600 square metres. The exhibition brings the horrors of war closer to the spectators of today with the help of exceptional visual devices.
Address: Várkert Bazár, Dél Palota, Ybl Miklós Square 6., 1013 Budapest
There is another permanent exhibition in the Museum of Military History in Budapest with the title, „Hungary in the Great War 1914-1918“.
Address: Kapisztrán Square 2-4, 1014 Budapest
8th Aircraftman Hussar Regiment Memorial46.076907 18.228060 fileadmin/res/images/layout/standar-marker.png