World War One Sites - The NETWORLD Database

WWI memorial and cemetery, Zalaegerszeg, Hungary

A. The memorial is an obelisc having on the top the turul bird, the mithical symbol of the Hungarian origin and the national coat of arms with the crown.  The memorial display the names of the heroes of the 6th Huszár regiment.  In August 1914 went to the front 1100 solders from huszár regiment from Zalaegerszeg and has battles in Galicia (Poland) agains the Russian armed troups.

B. The momorial of the 48th infantery is situated in Zalaegerszeg, Rákoczi street. The opening ceremony was in 1935, the memorial  was made by Zsigmond Kisfaludi Strobl.

C. The Italian cemetery situated in Zalaegerszeg, Egervári u. 16. The cemetary is placed on the area of a former prisioner camp, having 1656 solders graves. The majority ot buried solders are Italians, but also Russian, Romanian, Serbian solders.


Type of WWI-heritage

  • War monument


different dimensions

State of repair/preservation

well maintained

Historical WWI Context

A. On the commemorating obelisc 126 heroes names are mentioned , the opening ceremony was on the 20th of August 1922. The inscription was made by  Boldizsár Marton teacher in the real gymansium as: «A Hősöknek, kik elestek a véres mezőkön, Az élők, kikben halhatatlan drága szellemük! Az elfelejtés — Halál, az emlékezés — Élet. Mi. sújtott magyarok, ezért ápoljuk emlékezeteteket s hívunk egyenkint magyar feltámadásra.»

Originaly the obelisc was established on the Horty square (October the 6th square). The 6th Huszár regiment was in battles from the 13 of August 1914 till the WWI ends on the Russian front. Took part in the  Gorodoki battle, where almost half of the solders were lost. In the Lemberg battle covered the retreat of the 2. army.  During October take part in the battle near the Carpat mountains. In February 1914 take part in battles in Galicia and Bukovina, near Stanislau. In June1915 served the 7 Austro Hungarian army occupying Zaleszcyk. During the  Bruszilov invasion covered the retreat of the 7th army and later one was reorganised as infantery regiment.

B. The Austro -Hungarian 48. infantry regiment was established in 1798 with the headquarter in Zalaegerszeg. After 1867 the headquarter was moved to Nagykanizsa. The regiment fighted on the Italian front. The regiment was disbanded in 1918. The Hungarian poet Sándor  Petőfi was a solders in the regiment. 

C. The cemetery is situated on the former place of the WWI prisioner camp in Zalaegerszeg

State of legal protection

no data available


Zalaegerszeg city council

Kind of cultural use of WWI


(the available information is on the site

Dísz square

TV tower

Aqua park, 8900 Zalaegerszeg, Fürdő Sétány 2,

Göcsej village museum , 8900 Zalaegerszeg, Falumúzeum u.

Göcsej museum 8900 Zalaegerszeg, Batthyány u. 2.

Exhibition room, 8900 Zalaegerszeg, Ady út 14.

Mária Magdolna church, 8900 Zalaegerszeg, Mindszenty tér 1.

The billet house, 8900 Zalaegerszeg, Széchenyi tér 5.

Nearby Zalaegerszeg you can find:

Azalea valley, 8900 Zalaegerszeg

Jánkahegyi belvedere, 8900 Zalaegerszeg, Jánkahegyi u.


no data available

Entrance Fee

no data available

Information regarding cities, villages, other touristic attractions (non-WWI) nearby

no data available


In Zalaegerszeg the available accomodations are:,  www.

Public Transport

no data available

Further information sources

no data available

Other heritage sites nearby

Museums Private Collections

no data available


Back to list