World War One Sites - The NETWORLD Database
Memorial plaque for fallen soldiers of the Austro-Hungarian Salzburg volunteer riflemen, Salzburg, Austria
The memorial plaque for fallen soldiers of the Salzburg volunteer riflemen remembers those men who lost their lives in World War One on the Southwestern Front – at Pontebba, on Hochweißstein/Monte Peralba (2,694 m) and Monte Chiadenis (2,459 m), in the region of Sieben Gemeinden/Sette Comuni, on Monte Cimone (2,379 m) and in the Ortler region. The memorial plaque was inaugurated in 1937. A further memorial tablet in Salzburg is located in Elisabeth-Vorstadt, corner of Salzburger Schützenstraße/Elisabethstraße 44. This was inaugurated in 1968 on the occasion of the name changing of Erzherzog-Eugen-Straße to Salzburger Schützen-Straße.
Type of WWI-heritage
- War monument
The memorial plaque for fallen soldiers of the Salzburg volunteer riflemen has a size of around 2 x 3 metres and is mounted on the exterior facade of the Neue Residenz in the city of Salzburg (on the Residenzplatz side).
State of repair/preservation
The memorial plaque is in good condition.
Historical WWI Context
The border region between Austria-Hungary and Italy was strengthened with the threat of Italy entering the war in 1915. Due to the urgent need for soldiers, voluntary units were set up which included the Austro-Hungarian Salzburg voluntary riflemen. Around 5,000 men volunteered to 28 January 1915. When Italy took up arms in May 1915 a new front between the Danube monarchy and Italy came into being – the Southwestern Front. On 20 September the battalion of the Austro-Hungarian Salzburg voluntary riflemen consisting of 1,200 men marched into Hermagor, Carinthia. In 1915 the voluntary riflemen fought on Nassfeld on Malurch and Prihat. Between May and June 1916 the battalion remained for recovery and training purposes in Ober- and Unter-Vellach (today known as Obere Fellach and Untere Fellach) as well as Arnoldstein, to then enter the region around Hochweißstein/Monte Peralba (2,694 m) The soldiers were relocated in autumn 1917 and advanced over Pieve di Cadore, Belluno and Feltre to Primolano. From there they moved to the Assa Gorge trenches, and from March 1918 to the Monte Cimone West sector where they remained until the end of July 1918. During this time the riflemen lost more soldiers than the previous 34 months in all the other sectors. The riflemen were then relocated to the Ortler region in August 1918 where they occupied the defences together with sections of the Austro-Hungarian “Erzherzog Rainer” infantry regiment on the Ortler (3,899 m). Decimated, injured and burnt out, the remaining soldiers of the Austro-Hungarian Salzburg voluntary riflemen returned over the Reschen to Salzburg after Armistice on 4 November 1918. The fallen soldiers are buried in the Pontebba local cemetery, on the Quellensattel, in St. Lorenzen in Gailtal, in Crosati near Campana and on the Prad cemetery.
State of legal protection
The memorial plaque is not protected.
No information available.
Kind of cultural use of WWI
No touristic use.
Access to the memorial plaque is free.
Access to the memorial plaque is free.
Information regarding cities, villages, other touristic attractions (non-WWI) nearby
Province of Salzburg: www.salzburgerland.com
The memorial plaque is located in the pedestrian zone of the City of Salzburg.
Further information sources
Österreichisches Schwarzes Kreuz (Hg.), Kriegsfürsorge. Dokumentation, Wien (2012).
Other heritage sites nearby
Museums Private Collections
Untersbergmuseum Fürstenbrunn, Grödig (Salzburg)
Further information: www.untersbergmuseum.net
Memorial plaque for fallen soldiers of the Austro-Hungarian Salzburg volunteer riflemen, Salzburg, Austria47.79829993640354 13.047486057214314 fileadmin/res/images/layout/standar-marker.png