Networld WWI CA Database (Demo)

"Filipović lager" military barracks in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina

Part of the “Sarajevo assassination” heritage, a military barracks complex constructed between 1878 and 1897.

Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo

Type of WWI-heritage

  • Other military building or facility

Dimensions

cca 650 x 300 m , about 30 ha

State of repair/preservation

Military complex was actively used for army purposes from 1878. to 1997. It was later designated for Sarajevo University Campus according to spatial and urbanistic plans of the City of Sarajevo. On the eastern part of the complex, embassy of USA was built, while the western part is bound to give way for faculty buildings and University library.

Historical WWI Context

Location of this former military complex is a part of the “Sarajevo assassination” heritage. It was a large military complex that facilitated barracks and other military objects, constructed between 1878 and 1897. It was here that in the morning of June 28th 1914, archduke Franz Ferdinand inspected some of the troops, accompanied by Lieutenant-General Oskar Potiorek and General Appel, who briefly escorted him around the barracks.  From here, the archduke and countess continued their way to Sarajevo city in a 1911 Gräf & Stift Double Phaeton that belonged to Count Franz von Harrach, a member of the Volunteer Automobile Corps.

State of legal protection

No information available, unprotected

Kind of cultural use of WWI

Location of the Filipovic-lager barracks is part of the guided tour “Sarajevo assassination”.

Opening

No information available.

Entrance Fee

No information available

Information regarding cities, villages, other touristic attractions (non-WWI) nearby

Accomodation

Public Transport

Bike, Car, Taxi, Bus, Tramway.

Museums Private Collections

Location

Back to list