Networld WWI CA Database (Demo)

"Groblje Lav” military cemetery in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina

Military Cemetery (Militär Friedhof) was founded in 1878 by Austro-Hungarian army and was used for deceased members of the occupation army, and since 1914 for Austro-Hungarian soldiers killed in action in WWI. In 1917, a monument “Dying lion” by Slovenian-Austrian artist Jozef Urbania, was erected to commemorate fallen army comrades. Part of it served as Ashkenazi Jewish cemetery, also for killed members of the WWII partisan anti-fascist resistance, but it was partially exhumed in 1958 and the complete cemetery was closed. Cemetery was once again active during the siege of Sarajevo in 1992-1995. “Dying lion” monument was reconstructed in 2005.

Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo

Type of WWI-heritage

  • Military cemetery

Dimensions

cca 270 m x 75 m

State of repair/preservation

Well preserved, needs partial renovation.

Historical WWI Context

Military Cemetery (Militär Friedhof) was used since 1914 for Austro-Hungarian soldiers killed in action in WWI. In 1917, a monument “Dying lion” by Slovenian-Austrian artist Jozef Urbania, was erected to commemorate fallen army comrades. Army members of different religious denominations and ethnicities were buried here.

State of legal protection

Monument “Dying lion” is protected by the Sarajevo Cantonal bureau for protection of cultural historical heritage, but the graveyard is still in use and managed by Sarajevo Canton’s “Pokop” company.

Location

Back to list