Networld WWI CA Database (Demo)
Narrow Gauge train station in Ilidža near Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Part of the “Sarajevo assassination” heritage, a narrow gauge railway station constructed in 1891-92. as a part of Metković-Sarajevo narrow gauge railway line. It was the station where archduke Franz Ferdinand and countess Sophie Chotek were greeted upon their arrival on June 25th 1914, as well as where from they departed for Sarajevo prior the assassination, in the morning of June 28th 1914.
Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo
Type of WWI-heritage
- Non-Military Site of World War One Relevance
cca 30 x 13 m.
State of repair/preservation
Station is in derelict state. It has been declared as a monument by state Commission for protection of cultural heritage, as well as by other agencies, but never have there been any restoration works, because it was used for housing for years.
Historical WWI Context
As a part of their route to Sarajevo, archduke Frany Ferdinand and countess Sophie Chotek arrived and were greeted at the station on June 25th 1914, and from where they also departed for Sarajevo prior the assassination, in the morning of June 28th 1914.
State of legal protection
Protected by Bosnia and Herzegovina Commission to Preserve National Monuments
Kind of cultural use of WWI
Part of “Sarajevo assassination” guided tour.
No information available
No information available
Information regarding cities, villages, other touristic attractions (non-WWI) nearby
Bike, Car, Taxi, Bus, Tramway, Airport
Further information sources
Kantonalni zavod za zaštitu kulturno-historijskog i prirodnog naslijeđa Sarajevo: »Glavni projekat sanacije, rekonstrukcije i restauracije Stare željezničke stanice na Ilidži«, april 2002.
BOGIČEVIĆ, Vojislav, Mlada Bosna – Pisma i prilozi, Svjetlost, Sarajevo, 1954.
BOGIĆEVIĆ, Vojislav, Sarajevski atentat – Stenogram Glavne rasprave protiv Gavrila Principa i drugova, Izdanje Državnog arhiva BiH, Sarajevo, 1954.
DEDIJER, Vladimir, Sarajevo 1914., Prosveta, Beograd, 1966.
Ajdin Fevzija, Historija željeznica Bosne i Hercegovine, Nacionalna univerzitetska biblioteka Bosne i Hercegovine, Sarajevo, 2006.
Other heritage sites nearby
- Pašino brdo (Werk IV), Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Mala kula – Grdonj, Grdonj hill, Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Hotel "Bosna", part of the Spa complex in Ilidža near Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
- "Groblje Lav” military cemetery in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Fort Draguljac military fortification in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Weissbastion (Bijela tabija) in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Fort Vraca in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Werk Zlatište military fortification in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Prinz Eugen Kaserne (Jajce kasarna), military quarters in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
- "Filipović lager" military barracks in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Franz Joseph Kaserne in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Museums Private Collections
Narrow Gauge train station in Ilidža near Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina43.83208390406744 18.304962666718325 fileadmin/res/images/layout/standar-marker.png