Networld WWI CA Database (Demo)
Soldier’s Monument in Suvorovo, Bulgaria
The monument was built in the memory of the inhabitants of the town of Suvorovo who have died during the WWI (1915-1918) in defence of the homeland. The monument is situated in the park at the town centre near to the building of Suvorovo Municipality and the Community Centre Probuda .
The monument is made of stone with the figure of a soldier with a rifle in the hands on a pedestal and marble slabs with inscriptions:
“The Homeland never perishes when it lives in the hearts of all Bulgarians” and the names of fallen warier in WWI
“Bulgarian, remember that these heroes died as with their blood they wrote the legacy The Unifying of the Motherland”
Additional slab with names of 8 warriors from Suvorovo, fallen in WWII ( 1944-1945) was mounted in 2003 by the Municipality of Suvorovo.
Type of WWI-heritage
- War monument
The Monument is approximately 6 meters high.
State of repair/preservation
Well preserved – needs partial renovation.
Historical WWI Context
The monument was built in the memory of the inhabitants of the town of Suvorovo who have died during the WWI (1915-1918) in defence of the homeland.
The soldiers’ monuments on the territory of the Municipality of Suvorovo were surveyed and registered in 2008 by the municipal administration when the "Military Monuments Act" entered into force on 01.01.2008. At present Suvorovo municipality administration takes care of military monuments and memorial plaques, located in the settlements on municipal territory.
State of legal protection
Municipality of Suvorovo
Kind of cultural use of WWI
Historical Museum in Suvorovo
The first museum collection in Suvorovo was established in 1965 at the Probuda Comunity Center. For its long years of existence, it has undergone many changes, housed in several places. From the beginning of the 1980s to the present day it is located in a separate building of the former lemonade factory in the center of Suvorovo. In 2011 the building of the museum collection was completely renovated, a major renovation was carried out under the Rural Development Program. In 2012 the museum collection is registered in the Ministry of Culture as a public collection and is open for visitation, the entrance is free.
The public collection consists of departments of archeology, ethnography and a photo exhibition devoted to General Suvorov.
In the municipality of Suvorovo it is held annually on May 1st the Folklore Festival "As Living Water". The festival has turned into one of the biggest and most popular places in the region for the expression of talents in the field of Bulgarian folklore. Over 3,000 participants - singers, musicians, dancers - pass through the three scenes.
In October, as a part of the festival "Living Water", a "Celebration of the Horo" was held. The feast of the choir is a place for the performance of schools, groups and clubs for folk people.
The monument is opened all the year round.
No entrance fee.
Information regarding cities, villages, other touristic attractions (non-WWI) nearby
Suvorovo Municipality, Varna region, Bulgaria
1 Nezavisimost Sq.,Suvorovo 9170 , phone: +359 5153 / 3333, 2140; +359 5153/2440
fax: +359 5153/2160, www.suvorovo.bg
The municipality comprises the villages: Banovo, Chernevo, Drandar, Izgrev, Kalimantzi, Levski, Nikolaevka, Prosechen and the town of Suvorovo.
- Town of Suvorovo
The town of Suvorovo is a municipal center, part of Varna region. It is located 34 km to the north-west from the city of Varna, 56 km to the south-west from the town of Dobrich and 59 km to the east from the town of Shumen. The initial name of the town (which was a once a village) was Kozludja, later on it was renamed to Nov Gradetz (New Town). Nowadays the village is named after the Russian military commander Alexander Suvorov (1748-1800) who won a significant battle in the area during the Russo-Turkish war (1768 - 1774).
Climate and natural resources
The population of Suvorovo numbers to 4500 people. The town is situated 200-300 meters above sea-level. The relief is flat, the climate - temperate-continental. The direction of the winds is mainly north, north-east and north-west which prevents the emissions of polluted air from Devnya chemical factories from reaching to the town. The area of Suvorovo is known to be one of the places in Bulgaria with most sunny days throughout the year.
The ecologically clean area, cool, sunny summer and the mild winter provide good conditions for the production of high-quality fruits and vegetables. The favourable relief and the proximity to a large economic, administrative and educational center, such as the city of Varna are the main reasons for the well-developed transportation in the area - asphalted roads to all settlements, a rail-road to Varna and Dobrich. The availability of water and electricity supply networks, telephone exchange system and coverage of all mobile operators only add to the assets of the municipality. The construction of a wind park near Suvorovo is being planned.
Education and culture
The educational system in the area is represented by 4 schools: a Professional Agriculture High-School and a Secondary School in the town of Suvorovo and two secondary schools in the villages Nikolaevka and Chernevo.
Constructed on the territory of the municipality are three stadiums - in the town of Suvorovo and in the villages of Chernevo and Nikolaevka, tennis courts and a volley-ball playground.
Four libraries are functioning in the municipality. Two - in the town of Suvorovo and one in both villages Nikolaevka and Chernevo. In Suvorovo municipality there are seven community centers - one in Suvorovo and other six in the villages of Chernevo, Nikolaevka, Levski, Drandar, Kalimantzi and Izgrev.
Tourism and landmarks
- Located in the center of Suvorovo is the Municipal Museum of History. On display there are: an ethnographic exposition, materials and photos presenting the political and historical development in the area and the material culture of the population to inhabit these area since 4 800 BC. Exposition dedicated to the life of General Suvorov, materials from the Revival period and the modern history of the town.
- Excavations of an old Roman fortress are being carried out near the town. A park with a fountain has been build on location where Russian soldiers who lost their lives in the Russo-Turkish war in 1777 under the command of General Suvorov were buried
- In 2006 was completed the reconstruction of the Home of Culture and the Cultural Information Center with adjoining park areas and playgrounds for volley-ball, basket-ball and lawn-tennis.
- The church of the "Holly Ascension" - a great variety of icons and wooden inlaid frames and thrones, objects donated to the church.
- The third largest mosque in the north-eastern Bulgaria is located in the center of the town. It was built in the late 16th century according to the project of the famous Turkish architect Sinan. It is built in conformity with all the Islam canons with some Christian elements. The mosque is one of the largest on the Balkan Peninsula following the famous Tombul Mosque in the town of Shumen
- Village of Nikolaevka
The village of Nikolaevka, municipality Suvorovo is located at 30 km to the northwest from the city of Varna. The village stands at 350 m above sea level on both banks of Nikolaevska river. The village was founded in 1823 and its first name was Hadarcha. Here in this village Atanas Georgiev, a wealthy land-owner and patriot funded the opening of the first Bulgarian school in the district of Varna in 1847. Later in 1877 the village was renamed in honour of Knyaz Nikolay Nikolaevich, commander in chief of the Russian troops and younger brother of Tsar Alexander II.
Today Nikolaevka is most popular among anglers owing to picturesque dams nearby and unspoilt nature. Nikolaevka is also popular among the followers of Petar Danov, the Teacher.
The dams are part of the cascade dam system of the villages Levski, Nikolaevka and Voditsa. Nikolaevka dam occupies an area of 346 decars and is one of the largest dams in the vicinity. The dam is stocked with carp, silver carp, sheat fish, grass carp, rudd and crucian carp. Crayfish is one of the attractions of Nikolaevka and its dam.
The good management of water facilities in recent years, beautiful nature and proximity to the city of Varna turned Nikolaevka into a preferred place for recreation for ardent anglers. The road to the dam was asphalted anew and the tourist hut in Nikolaevka was renovated with funds extended as assistance under the PHARE program. The dam turned into a traditional place for casting contests and coach-training base. The record carp catch in Nikolaevka dam was in the summer of 2006 and weighed 16 kg, and the heaviest grass carp ever caught in the dam weighed 10.2 kg.
Dam water and banks are regularly cleaned and the traditional gathering spots host recreation shelters and clearings for tent building without use of any synthetic materials.
The village is visited by numerous followers of Peter Danov who follow the routes of their Teacher. On a slight elevation above the place where once his home stood the home museum of Peter Danov is currently in construction with volunteer labour and donations. Konstantin Danovski, the father of Petar Danov was the first village teacher and priest. The school where he used to teach is still preserved in the village. This was the first monastic school in Varna area, founded at the same time with the church Sv. Atanasiy, and sermons are still held in it. The village patron feast is on the Second of May and the village gathering is on the 26th of October, the day of St. Dimitar.
- Orthodox church St.. Atanasiy, the oldest Bulgarian church in the district of Varna
- Monastic school at the church
- Memorial fountain of the local Bulgarian soldiers perished in the Balkan-, Between-Allies- and First World War
- Home museum of Petar Danov built under project sponsored by the EU PHARE program and ethnographic collection of household life artifacts arranged in the museum yard.
Two dams, well stocked and maintained with good conditions for fishing and camping
Hotel reservation -
Hotel G Mar - 5A Shipka str, 9170 Suvorovo, Bulgaria, 900 m from Suvorovo city centre;Varna Airport is within 21 km
Complex Barite- Chernevo village, 9134 Chernevo, Bulgaria, 2.1 km from Chernevo city centre; Varna Airport is within 17 km
Further information sources
Other heritage sites nearby
Museums Private Collections
Memorial fountain of the local Bulgarian soldiers perished in the Balkan-, Between-Allies- and First World War in the village of Nikolaevka, Municipality of Suvorovo.
Soldier’s Monument in Suvorovo, Bulgaria43.329380 27.591727 fileadmin/res/images/layout/standar-marker.png