Networld WWI CA Database (Demo)
Soldier’s Monument in Chernevo, Suvorovo Municipality, Bulgaria
The monument was built in the memory of the inhabitants of the village of Chernevo who have died during the WWI (1915-1918) in defense of the homeland. The monument is situated in the park at the village center near to the Community Centre Zora .
The monument is made of stone and marble and consists of three parts:
- a central one with the inscription "Bulgaria, they died for you", under which are written on a marble slab the names of 48 soldiers who have died during the Balkan War 1912-1913, the First World War 1915-1918 and the Second World War 1944-1945.
- the left part is a stone slab in which a silhouette of a soldier with a rifle is cut
- the right part of the monument is a sculpture of black marble - a seated woman, a symbol of a mother waiting for her son to return.
Type of WWI-heritage
- War monument
The Monument is approximately 4 meters high.
State of repair/preservation
Well preserved monument
Historical WWI Context
The monument was built in the memory of the inhabitants of the village of Chernevo who have died during the WWI (1915-1918) in defense of the homeland. The monument is situated in the park at the village center near to the Community Centre Zora
The monument was made with the support of His Eminence Metropolitan Bishop Stefan (1907 - 1995), who is a native of the village of Chernevo and a donor of the local temple "St. Trinity ".
The soldiers’ monuments on the territory of the Municipality of Suvorovo were surveyed and registered in 2008 by the municipal administration when the "Military Monuments Act" entered into force on 01.01.2008.
State of legal protection
Municipality of Suvorovo
Kind of cultural use of WWI
The Church of the Holy Trinity was built in 1836, and the place for the church was donated by Paraskev Atanasov Karachevov. A church school was also found at the church and was taught by the priest in Greek. The church and the school are the oldest in Varna region.
Community centre (chitalishte) Zora
In the village of Chernevo are preserved various folk customs, which the group for authentic folklore at the Zora Chitalishta presents very attractive - Christmas, Lazarus, Kukerstvo, Enyovden and others.
The village of Chernevo is part of a tourist route that passes along the Banovo group of Pobiti Kamani (like Stonehenge) near the village of Banovo.
Water Tower – located at the Suvorovo road exit to the village
The access to the Monument is opened all the year round.
No entrance fee
Information regarding cities, villages, other touristic attractions (non-WWI) nearby
Suvorovo Municipality, Varna region, Bulgaria
1 Nezavisimost Sq.,Suvorovo 9170 , phone: +359 5153 / 3333, 2140; +359 5153/2440
fax: +359 5153/2160, www.suvorovo.bg
The municipality comprises the villages: Banovo, Chernevo, Drandar, Izgrev, Kalimantzi, Levski, Nikolaevka, Prosechen and the town of Suvorovo.
- Town of Suvorovo
The town of Suvorovo is a municipal center, part of Varna region. It is located 34 km to the north-west from the city of Varna, 56 km to the south-west from the town of Dobrich and 59 km to the east from the town of Shumen. The initial name of the town (which was a once a village) was Kozludja, later on it was renamed to Nov Gradetz (New Town). Nowadays the village is named after the Russian military commander Alexander Suvorov (1748-1800) who won a significant battle in the area during the Russo-Turkish war (1768 - 1774).
Climate and natural resources
The population of Suvorovo numbers to 4500 people. The town is situated 200-300 meters above sea-level. The relief is flat, the climate - temperate-continental. The direction of the winds is mainly north, north-east and north-west which prevents the emissions of polluted air from Devnya chemical factories from reaching to the town. The area of Suvorovo is known to be one of the places in Bulgaria with most sunny days throughout the year.
The ecologically clean area, cool, sunny summer and the mild winter provide good conditions for the production of high-quality fruits and vegetables. The favourable relief and the proximity to a large economic, administrative and educational center, such as the city of Varna are the main reasons for the well-developed transportation in the area - asphalted roads to all settlements, a rail-road to Varna and Dobrich. The availability of water and electricity supply networks, telephone exchange system and coverage of all mobile operators only add to the assets of the municipality. The construction of a wind park near Suvorovo is being planned.
Education and culture
The educational system in the area is represented by 4 schools: a Professional Agriculture High-School and a Secondary School in the town of Suvorovo and two secondary schools in the villages Nikolaevka and Chernevo.
Constructed on the territory of the municipality are three stadiums - in the town of Suvorovo and in the villages of Chernevo and Nikolaevka, tennis courts and a volley-ball playground.
Four libraries are functioning in the municipality. Two - in the town of Suvorovo and one in both villages Nikolaevka and Chernevo. In Suvorovo municipality there are seven community centers - one in Suvorovo and other six in the villages of Chernevo, Nikolaevka, Levski, Drandar, Kalimantzi and Izgrev.
Tourism and landmarks
- Located in the center of Suvorovo is the Municipal Museum of History. On display there are: an ethnographic exposition, materials and photos presenting the political and historical development in the area and the material culture of the population to inhabit these area since 4 800 BC. Exposition dedicated to the life of General Suvorov, materials from the Revival period and the modern history of the town.
- Excavations of an old Roman fortress are being carried out near the town. A park with a fountain has been build on location where Russian soldiers who lost their lives in the Russo-Turkish war in 1777 under the command of General Suvorov were buried
- In 2006 was completed the reconstruction of the Home of Culture and the Cultural Information Center with adjoining park areas and playgrounds for volley-ball, basket-ball and lawn-tennis.
- The church of the "Holly Ascension" - a great variety of icons and wooden inlaid frames and thrones, objects donated to the church.
- The third largest mosque in the north-eastern Bulgaria is located in the center of the town. It was built in the late 16th century according to the project of the famous Turkish architect Sinan. It is built in conformity with all the Islam canons with some Christian elements. The mosque is one of the largest on the Balkan Peninsula following the famous Tombul Mosque in the town of Shumen
- Village of Chernevo
Chernevo is located 35 km west of Varna. The village is in close proximity to the industrial town of Devnya. Chernevo is located in the municipality of Suvorovo, only 5 km away from town of Suvorovo. The village is situated between two hills, along which it has grown over the years and has become one of its sights. Near the village there is a thick mixed forest, which contributes to the appearance of this beautiful area. The village is connected with the towns of Varna, Devnya, Suvorovo by railroad and second class road. Chernevo is located near the lake of Varna
Hotel reservation - follow the lonk
Complex Barite - Chernevo village, 9134 Chernevo, Bulgaria, 2.1 km from Chernevo city centre; Varna Airport is within 17 km
Hotel G Mar - 5A Shipka str, 9170 Suvorovo, Bulgaria, 900 m from Suvorovo city centre;Varna Airport is within 21 km
Further information sources
Other heritage sites nearby
Museums Private Collections
- Memorial fountain of the local Bulgarian soldiers perished in the Balkan-, Between-Allies- and First World War in the village of Nikolaevka, Municipality of Suvorovo.
- Solder’s monument in the town of Suvorovo, Municipality of Suvorovo
Soldier’s Monument in Chernevo, Suvorovo Municipality, Bulgaria43.329380 27.591727 fileadmin/res/images/layout/standar-marker.png