Networld WWI CA Database (Demo)

The Old Sušić's Mill, Zenica, Bosnia and Herzegovina

An Austrian man, Mühlbacher built a mill in the period from 1880 to 1882. He used a part of the previously built old one, which he had better subdued, placed the constitution on the stretch of the Kočeva river branch and first built a wooden guide with a stronger structure, with a two mill wheel. Since 1934, it was run by his new owner, Franjo Sušić. Franjo completely renovated the mill, expanded the house by raising the floor, edited the gap that brought the Kočeva water to the mill and arranged the access to the mill. The mill had two water-powered millstone. 

 

Bosnia and Herzegovina, Zenica

Type of WWI-heritage

  • Non-Military Site of World War One Relevance

Dimensions

No information available.

State of repair/preservation

The constructional/architectural World War One heritage is not in function since the death of the last owner and miller Galib Žiško. It needs partial renovation.

Historical WWI Context

After the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy concurred Bosnia and Herzegovina, the period that came after it changed many things in the country. They built roads, railways, factories, companies and many other things that would ease their life in a new land. Most of the owners of any kinds of businesses were Austrians. The Sušić Mill was no exception to that. An Austrian man, Mühlbacher built a mill using a part of on old one, improving it and adjusting to new technologies at the time and built two wheels to increase production. The purpose of the mill was first and foremost to grind grain into flower for the needs of the military which was stationed nearby, about 300 m upstream of Kočeva River, in a street now called Travnička street.

When the war started, the mill man Mühlbacher continued to fulfill the needs of the soldiers and produces flower for the occupants of the millitary barracks.

When he traveled to Austria in 1919, Mühlbacher sold the mill to the Sušić family, according to which the mill is known and the people know it exclusively as the Sušić Mill.

It was bought by Drago Sušić in 1919, renovated in detail, and built up an elevated building with it. Namely, according to other sources, Mühlbacher was the owner of the mill directly or indirectly until 1934.

State of legal protection

Not protected.

Owner

This constructional/architectural World War One heritage is owned by the family of the last miller Galib Žiško.

Kind of cultural use of WWI

No information available.

Opening

No information available.

Entrance Fee

No information available.

Information regarding cities, villages, other touristic attractions (non-WWI) nearby

Architecture and artistic monuments from the socialist period of the former Yugoslavia on Smetovi; Fortress of Vranduk near Zenica; The Old City of Travnik; Kraljeva Sutjeska in Kakanj, ancient city of Bobovac; on old “Ćiro” train in Begov Han; tombstones called “Stećci” near Radimlja close to the city of Stolac.

Accomodation

No information available.

Public Transport

No information available.

Further information sources

Museums Private Collections

The Historical Museum of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo;

City Museum of Zenica;

Museum in Travnik

Location

Back to list